Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Terrorists arrested in Kuwait

I'm nearing the end of my time in the states. On Monday I will board a plane back to Kuwait (I will I will I will...yes, I'm trying to convince myself to get on the plane)...the past three weeks in the states have been awesome, full of great moments with friends and family, lots of shopping, church services, and many other happy experiences. I am planning on writing up a blog posting when I get back to Kuwait and have more time to process this month...in the meantime, here's a little nugget of news from Kuwait.

My dad came across this article yesterday online. It definitely wasn't headline news, and it took TWO days to end up in the english language Kuwait newspaper. Interesting. Here it a portion of the article:

Kuwaiti security forces arrested six Kuwaitis linked to al Qaeda who planned to attack a U.S. military installation, the country's state-run news agency reported Tuesday. The suspects had planned to bomb Camp Arifjan during the upcoming Muslim holy month of Ramadan, Kuwaiti security sources said.

It is unclear when the arrests took place.

Camp Arifjan, outside Kuwait City near the country's border with Saudi Arabia, is used as a logistical base and transit point for U.S. troops deploying to and from neighboring Iraq, according to the U.S. Defense Department.

Full story at: http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/08/11/al.qaeda.plot.foiled/index.html

So basically they arrested 6 Kuwaitis who were planning on attacking various locations in Kuwait. Camp Arifjan, which is specifically mentioned in this article, is where several of my friends work as contractors. It's a very odd and sobering feeling to read an article about possible terrorism and realize that you know those places. It's a reminder that even though Kuwait seems like a "safe" location in terms of extremism, it is still just one fanatic away from going kaboom.

No comments: