Sunday, September 13, 2009

Amazing Grace How Sweet the Sound

I woke up this morning with the old hymn Amazing Grace running through my head. After way too many mornings waking up to "Allahu Akbar" (the Muslim call to prayer), Amazing Grace is a beautiful refrain to accompany my coffee and bread with nutella. I decided to search for all the versions of the song on my ipod, and stumbled across a Ray Charles rendition that blew me away...and I didn't even know it was on my ipod! Amazing Grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. Work is chaotic right now. One of my favorite people at work (a counselor with decades of experience) is leaving the job, and it just feels lonely. I would give her rides home after work, and debriefing the day just made everything a little more cheery. So now she's gone and my anxiety over work and the next few months is rising rapidly. I always know when my anxiety is worse by my sleep pattern (let's just say it took me two hours to fall asleep last night). Through many dangers, toils, and snares, we have already come. T'was grace that brought us safe thus far...and Grace will lead us home. I tend to be one of those people who looks like they have it all together...calm exterior, determination, quick decision maker. But underneath that lies an anxiety that can rear its ugly head in the most unexpected of moments. Here in Kuwait, there are so many things that can throw you off your game. It's exhausting and thrilling and discouraging and adrenaline-pumping all at the same time. The Lord has promised good to me...His word my hope secures. He will my shield and portion be...as long as life endures. There are so many days when work and relationships and culture shock and all the little difficult details of living life seem to overshadow my view of God. So many days when my focus is fractured into a million little pieces...and I don't have the energy to pull it back together and tear my gaze away from all the distractions of this world long enough to look toward the one who is my shield and portion. God give me the strength. When we've been there ten thousand years. Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound. That saved a wretch like me.I once was lost but now am found. Was blind, but now, I see.

Amazing Grace Lyrics
by Englishman John Newton

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful thoughts. Thank you for sharing Amy. What a wonderful way to wake up in the morning.

Unknown said...

hey! thanks for sharing. i love that song! i have been singing a worship song the last couple days too... and making up my own words to add in... for the life of me i can't remember what the song is now... will let you know when i remember. :) i seriously was singing it for like 4 days in a row!
anyways, all to say, it is nice to praise just around the house with the sings He puts in our heads... love you
sarah

Delarubia said...

Amy-I just found you randomly online because I was googling "Global Nomads" and I noticed that we have so much in common!, it is kind of unusual! First of all, and most importantly, we share the same faith. Second, I am working with Global Nomads on campus at the university where I am a grad. student and employee, so I am very interested in the identities and experiences of expatriates. Thirdly, I work for the study abroad office at Boston College and we have just formed an exchange partnership with AUK, so I am familiar with your employer. Fourth, I am exactly the same age as you are! I felt led to post here because I wanted to encourage you in your work in Kuwait because I can imagine why you are there as a believer and as a Global Nomad, both. The post about news articles was disturbing, though it rings true with so much I've read about low-level foreign workers in the Middle East. I imagine you feel like a pinprick of light in a dark place. A blessing on you today!
-Laura Saylor

miakush said...

Hi Laura! Thanks so much for reading my blog! I would love to hear more about your background and interest in Global Nomads. I actually checked out Boston College many moons ago (in 1998) when I was looking at colleges. It's such a small world that you know about AUK! Anyway, I don't know how to get ahold of you (couldn't figure out if you have a blog)...so please drop me a line at amy.kushner@gmail.com when you have time! ~Amy