Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hottest place on earth...Kuwait!

Apparently, BBC mentioned yesterday that the hottest place on Earth was Kuwait: 55C or 131 F. And of course, the papers report that electricity usage is at 98% of capacity. I'm in the hottest place on earth! No wonder I was feeling a bit drained yesterday...and the day before...and the day before. We liken it to walking in front of the world's largest hairdryer. When I walked from my car into my building earlier today, I felt like the blowing hot wind was going to melt the skin right off my arms. But the crazy thing is that you learn to tolerate it! It still feels like living in a giant furnace, but somehow you're able to walk around in long pants and even a sweater (I opt for the modest look here)! On a positive note, I'm leaving the giant hairdyer soon! I'll be heading to Ethiopia in 4 days to take part in a month-long humanitarian trip...with my parents, my little sister, and about 50 other people. I'm soooo excited. And the best part is- temperatures in Addis are between 50 and 70! That's an 80 degree drop from Kuwait! Hallelujah!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhhh my gosh! That is NUTS! So excited you can escape for a while. Hopefully you won't get sick, 80 degree temperature drop.. thats just not right!

The Moore's said...

Amy, I just need to let you know that I read your blog regularly and I LOVE keeping up with your life!!!!! You will always be one of my "kids". ha ha! Be careful and know that you are loved. Claudia